Table of Contents
Asphalt maintenance is crucial for ensuring the longevity and overall appearance of your commercial property. One essential step in this process is crack sealing, which not only extends the lifespan of your asphalt surface but also helps maintain a safe and professional environment. In this article, we will explore the benefits of crack sealing and how it plays a crucial role in asphalt maintenance. For commercial property managers in the Dacono, CO area, National Pavement Partners is the contractor of choice for providing exceptional crack sealing services.
Common Causes of Asphalt Cracks
Asphalt cracks can be caused by several factors, including temperature fluctuations, water infiltration, heavy traffic loads, tree roots, and poor construction or installation. Identifying the cause of cracks on your property is essential for choosing the right solution and preventing further damage.
Identifying Asphalt Cracks
To determine the most effective solution for your asphalt surface, it is essential to identify the type of cracks present. Proper identification allows for targeted repairs, ensuring that your maintenance efforts yield the best results. Here is a closer look at the common types of asphalt cracks:
- Alligator cracking: Also known as fatigue cracking, this type of damage resembles the skin of an alligator. It typically occurs due to structural failure in the asphalt, often caused by a weakened base or subgrade. Addressing alligator cracking may involve more than just crack sealing; a full-depth reclamation or an asphalt overlay might be necessary.
- Longitudinal cracking: These cracks run parallel to the pavement’s centerline or laydown direction. Longitudinal cracks can be the result of poor construction, reflective cracking from underlying layers, or pavement fatigue. Sealing longitudinal cracks helps prevent water infiltration and further deterioration.
- Transverse cracking: Perpendicular to the pavement’s centerline or laydown direction, transverse cracks are often caused by temperature fluctuations that result in asphalt contraction. Proper crack sealing can prevent water from entering the pavement and minimize the risk of these cracks expanding.
- Block cracking: This type of cracking forms large, interconnected rectangles or blocks on the pavement surface. Block cracking is usually due to the asphalt’s inability to expand and contract with temperature changes. Crack sealing is an effective solution to prevent water infiltration and further damage.
- Edge cracking: Found along the outer edges of the pavement, edge cracks may be caused by poor drainage, insufficient support, or heavy vegetation. Addressing these cracks early on can prevent them from growing and affecting larger areas of the pavement.
It is crucial to address cracks once they reach a specific size threshold—typically when they are about 1/4-inch wide or larger. Sealing smaller cracks may not be cost-effective and can be challenging to execute effectively. The right season for crack sealing is also vital; typically, the best time for this maintenance is during the spring and fall months. In these seasons, temperatures are moderate, ensuring better adhesion of the sealant and allowing for proper expansion and contraction of the asphalt.
By understanding the different types of cracks and addressing them promptly, commercial property managers can ensure that their asphalt surfaces remain in optimal condition.
Benefits of Crack Sealing
- Prolongs asphalt lifespan: Regular crack sealing can significantly extend the life of your asphalt surface by preventing water and debris from penetrating and causing further damage.
- Prevents water infiltration: Crack sealing acts as a barrier, stopping water from seeping into the asphalt and weakening its foundation.
- Improves safety and appearance: Sealed cracks provide a smoother surface for vehicles and pedestrians, reducing the risk of accidents and enhancing the overall appearance of your property.
- Reduces long-term maintenance costs: By addressing cracks early, you can avoid costly repairs or complete asphalt replacement in the future.
- Environmentally friendly: Crack sealing helps reduce the need for new asphalt production, making it an eco-conscious choice for property managers.
National Pavement Partners: The Commercial Contractor of Choice for Crack Sealing
For commercial property managers in the Dacono, CO area, National Pavement Partners is the go-to contractor for professional crack sealing services. With years of experience and a team of skilled professionals, they will ensure that your asphalt surface remains in top condition. Choosing National Pavement Partners guarantees quality work, timely service, and excellent customer support.
Crack sealing is an essential step in asphalt maintenance, providing numerous benefits for commercial property managers in the Dacono, CO area. By addressing cracks early, you can extend the life of your asphalt surface, improve safety, and save on long-term maintenance costs. Trust National Pavement Partners as your commercial contractor of choice for crack sealing services to ensure the highest quality results for your property.